“More than one billion children are living in poverty around the world … The worst aspects of poverty come from a loss of hope – and we have a chance to change their story,” Susana Eshleman, a former Hallmark executive who is now CEO of Children International, told members and guests at the chapter’s FEI Giving Back event on October 12. The Kansas City-based charity provides medical and dental care, nutrition, education, job readiness training – and hope – to more than 300,000 children in 10 countries. Children International’s goal is to reach 1 million.
How can executives support a good cause? Ms. Eshleman cited five ways:
- Sign up personally to sponsor a child or provide financial support
- Volunteer your time or expertise
- Offer a platform for a charity to present its story to employees
- Provide direct company support or sponsor a company-wide event
- Enlist aid from foundations or trusts tied to the company or executives